TOPCIT stands for Test Of Practical Competency in IT.
TOPCIT is a performance-evaluation-centered test designed to diagnose and assess the basic competencies of IT specialists and software developers working the IT industry.
TOPCIT’s mission is to establish a standardized set of competencies required in the IT industry for students to follow in order to be better prepared before graduation.
- Stagnant growth rate in the IT industry workforce and decline in quality of graduating students
- Decline in Korea’s international IT competitiveness
- Expressing the need for a standardized and objective competency index for hiring IT recruits
- Manpower shortage experienced by IT companies and even in companies transitioning to IT-centered services
- Decrease in qualified personnel recruited in the IT field
- Increased demand for a standardized IT evaluation tool for graduating students
- Continuous efforts to improve the quality of education
has been developed to objectively assess the competencies of those planning on entering the IT industry. Analyzed data through TOPCIT will help the industry and universities in admitting students or hiring new recruits respectively.
Diagnosing basic competencies for workers in the IT industry
· It diagnoses the level of understanding in business and management
· It assess one’s understanding of IT business, the ability to carry out technical communications, and the ability to manage projects, all of which are not covered in other competency evaluation tests
Evaluating various areas of expertise in the IT industry
· Provides a comprehensive and detailed assessment of technical and business competencies in IT
· It evaluates the overall level of knowledge and IT skills through questions integrated with various contents
Measuring various problem solving capabilities required in the IT industry
· Questions bring out test-takers’ creative problem solving skills critically required in an ever-evolving industry
· Through TOPCIT, one can understand the issue and task given in an actual situation then exhibit their problem solving skills in finding an optimum solution.
Who is in charge of and administers?
Ministry of Science and ICT
The Ministry of Science and ICT is a government department in charge of R & D and ICT policies in Korea. We are in charge of this project to focus on acceleration.
Institute of Information & Communications Technology Planning & Evaluation
The Institute of Information & Communications Technology Planning & Evaluation (IITP) was established to promote ICT R & D and industry through ICT R & D support. We strive to foster and develop the Korean information and communication industry through agreements, evaluations and support.
What issue is released?
TOPCIT stands for Test Of Practical Competency in IT. TOPCIT is a system for diagnosing and evaluating the comprehensive ability of basic core knowledge, skills, and attitudes required for ICT industry workers and SW developers to understand the business, solve the tasks according to the requirements, and perform the tasks successfully. / p>
It was developed to objectively measure the competencies commonly required by universities and industry for new workers who want to enter the ICT field. TOPCIT measures these skills through an assessment of creative problem solving and practical skills, rather than a knowledge-based assessment.
For students! For college! For the industry!
students who are looking for a job
Propose success vision and career development direction for new employees who want to enter ICT / SW field
This course allows students to study deeply about the subjects they learn at university and to show how the contents of the school are applied to the field through live lectures by business professionals.
University , which studies how to improve education,
It is used to improve the quality of university ICT and SW curriculum and to develop curriculum linked to employment
The advisory committee, the questionnaire composition committee, and the questionnaire committee composed of leading large and small business executives and staffs in the field of ICT and SW in Korea and university professors communicate with each other through various channels of TOPCIT to lay the groundwork for the improvement of university education.
Reduced overlapping investment costs such as hiring excellent ICT talents and retraining by utilizing standardized ICT and SW competency models
SMEs are expected to develop systematic human resources by utilizing job training guidelines and online learning contents provided by TOPCIT.
Diagnose the competency required for on-site ICT personnel
Complex assessment of various areas of the ICT field
Measure various problem solving skills required in practice
TOPCITIndustry, Universities and Companies
- 1In the industry, the growth rate of ICT industry is stagnant and international competitiveness is falling
- 2In universities, there is a growing demand for discriminating students' individual competencies, and the quality of university education
- 3Companies need to add objective evaluation criteria when recruiting ICT talents Difficulties in recruiting ICT personnel required by companies
TOPCITWhat is the answer?
- 1Encouraging high-quality talents to enter ICT department by presenting a positive recognition and vision for the ICT industry
- 2Through the balanced implementation of university education and business-oriented ICT education, ICT graduates should be improved in their capacity.
- 3The vitalization of the ICT industry through the use of human resources should improve the working environment of ICT employees and create new jobs.
TOPCITDirection of TOPCIT
- 1Diagnose the competency required for on-site ICT personnel
- 2The various areas of the ICT field are evaluated in complex.
- 3Measure the variety of problem solving skills required in practice.